2/07/2015

Attack of the EYE CYST

I woke up a week ago with a little discomfort around my bottom eyelid, but I didn't think anything of it, until this morning when my eye looked like Quasimodo. I googled what it could be (You know people love self-diagnosing), and I came to the conclusion that it was an Eyelid Cyst. I hear about painful cyst on the face or body, which is basically a bump that varies in size. Well this one started barely invisible, and now it's grown inside my lower eyelid to a tennis ball. Well not really, it's still very small, but now it's forming more of a whitehead. This is gross, I know... but the result of my eyelid cyst is due to going to sleep with mascara and eyeliner. I have never had this happen before, but if you mix the cosmetics with the oil from nights of sleeping and sweating due to the excessive heat keeping me alive through the New York winter weather. It was bound to happen, and now I am amongst those people that can claim an "eye cyst" in their lifetime. *Sigh*

Moving right along... I researched it to find the causes, symptoms, and possible remedies for combating this nasty deformity on my face. Here is an article I found on WebMD (which is like an online doctor for those that want to ask questions or self-diagnose themselves like I do often.)  and Eye Health Web that specifies an eyelid cyst and all that good stuff.

"While there are many forms of eyelid cysts, most consist of a localized swelling of the eyelid. Some eyelid cysts are caused by an infection, and these can be painful and can even alter a person’s appearance. If the infection is left untreated long enough, it can affect your vision.  If you have any of the symptoms listed below, try your best not to touch or rub your eyes, and make an appointment with your eye doctor."

Eyelid Cyst Symptoms:

  • Lumps on eyelids or around eyes
  • Redness
  • Eyelid swelling
  • Tenderness
  • Discoloration
  • Discharge
  • Eye crusting
  • Pain
  • Discomfort when blinking
  • Itchiness

Causes of Eyelid Cysts

The transfer of dirt, debris, and bacteria into or around your eyes can lead to the formation of these unsightly lumps or cysts. The most common causes of eyelid cysts are:
  • Staph bacteria
  • Eye duct/gland blockage
  • Poor hygiene
  • Dirty contact lenses
  • Chronic blepharitis
  • Cosmetics
  • Leaving make-up on overnight
  • Touching or rubbing eyes, especially with unwashed hands

Treating Eyelid Cysts

If you have a cyst on your eyelid, the best treatment starts with better personal hygiene. Keep your hands and fingers and the area around your eyes clean at all times. Try your best not to touch or rub your eyes. This can help prevent bacteria from spreading. If you use cosmetics, throw them away and buy new ones after the cyst is gone. This will prevent the spread of bacteria that could be infecting your eye make-up. Avoid sharing your eye make-up, even with those closest to you.

For more info: CLICK HERE

Some over-the-counter remedies for eyelid/eye bumps, cysts, and puffiness:
(I will be using the eye wash and eye compression to get rid of my eye cyst. Will do a review if it works... or doesn't work.)

Washes bacteria from eyes

Warm Compression relieves discomfort

Eyedrops combat redness and discomfort